Looking for something to flavour up your popcorn instead of the usual butter. Well instead of doing the usual I tried to make my popcorn sweeter, because I just enjoy sweet things. So… I decided to dress up my popcorn with caramel and must I say it was gone in just one day. It was delicious that I would make it over and over again. If you have a sweet tooth then you should try this.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- For the popcorn: Heat 1 tsp of vegetable oil over low heat in a large, heavy pot. Add the corn kernels (about 8 Tbsp) and stir. Cover and shake pot until all the corn has popped. (When popping has slowed down, remove the pot off the heat.)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Leave the popcorn in the pot, uncovered or transfer to a bowl.
- For the Caramel: In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. After it boils, do not stir it for about 4 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour it over the popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Place coated popcorn into a baking pan(greased or with parchment paper)
- Bake for one hour and for every 15 minutes stir it.
- Remove it and allow to completely cool before breaking it into pieces.